Saturday, February 7, 2009

The elusive Hoya obtusifolia

I found this very large Hoya from a giant fallen tree in southern Johore many years ago. The stem was so thick and the leaves so thick and succulent I initially though it was one of those climbing aroids. From a cutting, a large specimen many metres long was derived which flowered during the evening. The flowers had a mango-like smell I recalled.

Supposedly, this is not a very common plant. My original specimen perished a couple of years ago and I am still looking for a replacement without success.

7 comments:

Hermes said...

Lovely plant.
You might contact these people:
http://www.freewebs.com/botanova/plantlist2009.htm

Lona said...

The petals on the blooms even look thick. It is a wonderful looking plant, very unusual looking.
Lona

Unknown said...

That is a most glorious hoya! It looks almost like it's made out of china, it's so beautiful.

Eric Bronson said...

WOW!!! That's a beautiful specimen, that's even nicer than the last Hoya species you posted about.

Hort Log said...

Yes this one is rather special for me ....but porcelain-like flowers is a feature of many Hoyas. Let me dig out some pics from the archive ....

Anonymous said...

See la, you should have passed me a cutting ....

Hort Log said...

O well .... : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails