Friday, April 11, 2008

Begonia pendula



A variable Begonia originally described in 1906 and restricted to limestone areas in Sarawak, growing on a vertical cliff. Plants may be plain green, green with white streaks or brown with white streaks as in this case. As far as I know, it has never been brought into cultivation. The plant appears to weather through dry spell very well and has rather tough fibrous stems.

At the bottom of the pic are a couple of Homalomena rubra -an aroid with nice reddish petioles and leaves usually associated with calcerous places.

11 comments:

Nancy J. Bond said...

That foliage is beautiful - thank you for bringing this to your readers who might otherwise never see it. Rare Arctic-alpine and uncommon Alleghanian plant species grow on the steep cliffs of Nova Scotia's Cape Split. Though at risk, its future is fairly safe because of its location.

Hermes said...

Great leaves. It would probably be best grown as an Alpine with gritty, very free draining soil. I like Begonia's and this is definately new to me.

Trudi said...

Yes, sometimes one is lucky and sees something what no one else has spotted. When I join a walker group ( which is rare, as it always annoys me how people trample along, no time to look. I just wanted to say I appreciate your shots of these rare plants.

Hort Log said...

o yes, I know those people who trek to conquer. The motivation is quite different. We tend to take our time.... and irk our guide.

tokfian said...

This I could die for ,Wonderful,,
Sophie

HGR said...

Excellent photos and descriptions. Thank you very much.

I have B. pendula in cultivation.

Peter

Hort Log said...

Peter,
this is not an easy plant to grow - hope you can get lots of seeds.

HGR said...

it is not difficult to cultivate, here in Europe. I have harvested seeds. Peter

Hort Log said...

Hi Peter,
The plants will slowly weakend after 1-2 years - the only way to keep them for long is by seeds.

HGR said...

my seedlings are from 2008. I am very attentive with this seldom species.

HGR said...

can I send you photos to determine a plant?
Peter

Related Posts with Thumbnails