Monday, November 2, 2009

Devil and the deep blue C

.... C as in coerulea, Latin for "blue", or in this case a blue orchid, Vanda coerulea to be exact. Blue is a rare colour in nature, so when this large Vanda was found to be endowed with this beautiful bloom, its fate was sealed. It was hunted to near extincton in its habitat by hordes of drooling fanciers and hybridisers. Having been artificially propagated for decades, the plant is now, fortunately, common in trade.
This original form is a rather ungainly looking plant with slender twisted petals. Modern cultivated varieties are more blue and more full - with wide overlapping petals and sepals. This is how man thinks the plant should look like. It is not inconcievable that with the passage of time, the original form will become rarer...or even extinct.

Humans' visions of idealised beauty can be so undemocratic....

5 comments:

Claude said...

I actually like the origional form better... However, since I don't grow them, I don't suppose anybody will listen to me...

Hort Log said...

....haha.. in the wild - the modern flowers will catch the wind and snap the whole rachis....this is what I think anyway.

Hermes said...

I like both and that colour is just so beautiful.

Hon E said...

blue blue, I am blue too
waiting for your Hoya posts....

James David said...

Well, its truly either the Devil or the deep blue C in choosing one of it. I love both, they just look so lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails