Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cirrhopetalum fan

Cirrhopetalum auratum - is a small orchid from SE Asia's rain forest, sometimes placed as a section in the large genus Bulbophyllum in which case it would be called B. auratum.

A very interesting feature of the live flowers is that their lips are all hinged and movable and will nod at the slightest vibration - its a very animated inflorescence. Supposedly, it produces alot of sweet nectar, so much, in fact, that small insects may drown in their quest.

5 comments:

Claude said...

Nature never ceases to amaze one... no matter what you can imagine, nature has already thought of it, and probably outdone you! Fascinating plant...

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I am pleased to see and to read about this orchid. I have one growing for many years in a very flat hanging pot. Last year it was swamped with flowers and I love them, so dainty and beautiful. They are starting to flower now but so far I have only seen one or two flowers emerging. Thank you for the information.

Hermes said...

You post such fascinating pictures of plants I have never heard of.

Hort Log said...

I saw my first Cirrhopetalum bloom about thirteen or fouteen years ago and it was such an intricate and animated structure that I thought it seemed something out of a skilled toymaker's hands.

Hort Log said...

Hi Trudi,

you are in a very blessed climate for a garden.... being able to grow both tropical and temperate plants.

Related Posts with Thumbnails